Friday, September 23, 2005

Good Deeds Not Unpunished

I've noticed lately a real sense of entitlement from the recepients of my volunteer largesse. The mom who assumes I'll bring her children home, the teachers who assume I'll drop what I'm doing and help them, the administrators who assume I have nothing better to do than their bidding, the teachers and administrators who assume they will be allocated the same funds with the same restrictions (or lack thereof) every year without question! I'M NOT GETTING PAID TO TAKE THIS CRAP. Every minute of my time is a gift, and should be treated accordingly. Remember that next time you pick your kid up from Sunday School, and say THANK YOU for donating your valuable time to my child. Look for opportunities to return the gift, just as you would return a favor for a friend or buy a friend a little gift in reciprocation for a thoughtful gesture. Most people wouldn't dream of not returning a favor or reciprocating for a good deed, but ignore the substantial contribution to their children by volunteers.

No comments: